Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Little Sprouts

So, I realized today that I really am, legitimately the world's worst blogger ever. I don't even think people know we have a blog or care, but hey, writing is fun for me, so I'll just create new blogs about the last few months like I actually did them on time. I'll start by sharing the vision that was cultivated over the last few years and then came to life over the last few months: Little Sprouts Mother's Day Out.

If you know me at all, you know that teaching had been hard for me since my transition to Midland. I will not blame or point fingers (as I was definitely to blame for part), but teaching had become harder and harder, and I didn't like the person I felt I was becoming (or rather had slowly become). The negativity of all of it became unbearable and was pouring over into other aspects of my life. Something had to give.

Over spring break, Todd and I took the junior high youth to Houston on a mission trip. It sounds like a not-so-exciting thing, but it was truly amazing. We saw and experienced people and parts of Houston that I never knew existed. As the lead driver of our pack (since I lived there for so long), I was shocked to pass a place I'd driven by my whole life, only to discover a part of town I never even knew was there. We went to refugee apartments, visited and prayed around a Buddhist temple, and ate a legit Nepalese meal with converted Christian brothers and sisters. It was amazing. During this time and for a week or so after, I found myself wondering what on earth I was doing with my time. My sole purpose is to love the Lord and to make His name known through sharing of His Great Love, and here I was, going to a job that I was disliking more everyday. My mind kept flashing back to school picture day when one of my neediest students came to me for a hug and I was "too busy." What was I doing??

I began to pray that the Lord would open doors and then met with one of the elders in our church and his wife (both of whom we dearly love). Our church was (and is) without a children's minister, so I expressed interest in doing something along those lines. In the conversation, the ideas I've had for the last few years about mother's day out program came to light. When asked to talk a bit more about this idea, the floodgates opened. Years of thoughts - which apparently had piled up in my head - poured out. I was asked to generate a business plan to present to the elders of our church, and then we'd see where it went from there. So I went home, had a weekend alone while Todd was on another youth trip, and the Lord began to give me new and incredible ideas for the program.

That Saturday while Todd was gone, I decided to plant some flowers for my front beds. As I planted, I prayed the Lord would give me a vision and a name for the MDO program. I began to think about the plants I was potting, and the idea of children growing came to mind. Later, as I washed my hair, I was suddenly hit with the term "sprout." I began to throw around things that went with sprout, cleaned up, and began to form notes and google other terms. The Lord just completely put the names and ideas in my head! Little Sprouts became the name of the program, and the class names became the stages of a pea plant: seeds, roots, buds, and pea pods. The Lord also gave me our theme verse: But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. 2 Peter 3:18

To try to make a long story, shorter, I researched logistics and presented the name and details, etc. to the elders, and the week of my birthday in May they hired me as the director. During the summer, every second not devoted to youth trips was spent researching, preparing, interviewing, hiring, training, remodeling, etc. And then finally on August 24, the vision came to life when 30 little ones came walking through the doors!!!

This journey has been incredible and some amazing people have helped me in the process. I am blessed to know that the kids who come through the doors every Monday and Wednesday are being taught about our Lord Jesus Christ. I love to sit in my office and just listen to the sounds that come from each room: the cries, the giggles, the burbs, the songs, the squeals. It's an incredible honor to have been given the task of starting something so amazing, and I can honestly say I LOVE what I do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.